Monday, 30 May 2016

Five Movie Characters That Secretly Inspire My Style

This was a surprisingly hard post to write! I like characters who have a realistically wearable, practical wardrobe, but with an eccentric touch. Many of the characters that I love don't necessarily have wardrobes that I would emulate - for example, I really like Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, and it goes without saying that Ramona Flowers is awesome, but I could not pull off that wardrobe. I am 99% certain that at one point she is wearing a fleece. Who manages to make a fleece look cool? Not me, that's for sure.

(Also, I am always up for further film fashspiration - ugh, did I really just say that? Sorry! - so as ever, recommendations are appreciated. Or better yet - hit me with your own top-fives? I always have room in my life for more fandoms.)

Sarah in Labyrinth
All hail Labyrinth. I abso-bloody-lutely love this film. I like a girl who looks comfortable in jeans, but I also really appreciate the puffy sleeves and waistcoat thing she has going on. Artist-poet-drama student vibes.

Enid in Ghost World
Yeah, I know, me and every other alt girl ever. But what's not to love about Enid? I particularly love her impressive collection of patterned vintage bathrobes. And that green bob. Be still, my heart.


Tank Girl
Okay, so this movie might actually have been the weirdest thing I've seen lately, and I kind of love/hate the character of Tank Girl (she kicks butt, and I always like that in a girl, but on the other hand, she is a bit of an annoying loudmouth. Although Lori Petty's voice equals serious heart-eyes), but there's something about shaven heads and ripped-up clothing that will forever appeal to me. To be fair, though, the main thing I want to take from this character and apply to my own wardrobe is the complete lack of fucks given.

Luna Lovegood in Harry Potter
My personal dress sense is not as, um, out there as Luna's, but I have great appreciation for her crazy earrings and those cute purple overall/dungaree things (as seen in the basement of Malfoy Manor, Deathly Hallows). I am ever on the search for the perfect pair of dungarees, but I have yet to find some that don't make me look like Andy Pandy gone seriously wrong.

Bliss in Whip It!
To be fair, I could have listed almost any Ellen Page character on here, but I think Bliss is my fave.

Honourable Mentions:
  • Ginger (Ginger Snaps)
  • Celia (St Trinians)
  • Annabel (Mama)
  • Rogue (X-Men)

5 comments:

  1. Rogue in the first X-Men, that green jacket with the hood!

    I love Luna too, she's my awesome weirdo role model!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rogue in the first X-Men, that green jacket with the hood!

    I love Luna too, she's my awesome weirdo role model!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesss that outfit! :D

      Luna is definitely my favourite HP character, no contest :)

      Delete
  3. Take a look at the Tank Girl comics -- they are MUCH better than that movie and are extremely visually disorienting and punk rock. They tend to be socially aware and have caused quite a bit of cultural chaos in the late 80s -- especially in Margaret Thatcher's England -- when they were released. Tank Girl was always a comic/counter culture hero/influence for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did read the comics a few years ago (they had them in the library). Agreed - prefer comic Tank Girl to movie Tank Girl!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...