Friday, 4 March 2016

Things I Love, Errr, Friday

I meant to post this yesterday, but ended up doing other things instead and becoming incredibly distracted. However, I do find Things I Love Thursday posts very useful as they give me an at-a-glance way to discover what I've been prioritising - and if I struggle to think of what to write, it's a handy heads-up that I'm getting too much work and not enough play. So I decided not to let the fact that I let Thursday slip entirely by me become a hindrance.


  • First and most importantly, my partner Dan and I have started planning towards something we've always wanted to do. After my exams, which will hopefully take place in June next year, we're both freed up. Coupled with the fact that my mum wants to move out of my childhood home into a smaller place so I'm clearing out an awful lot of stuff anyway, it dawned on us that this was finally the best possible time to take a trip! Travelling more has been a priority for both of us for a long time, but we've been trying to untangle ourselves from work and home commitments. So now, we have finally started laying down the groundwork for taking a year-long backpacking tour in 2018. As newbie travellers we don't really know what on earth we are doing yet, so we're currently in the research stages, but it's very exciting to be working towards something that's such a huge deal to us, and it feels very liberating, as though the future is opening up. We don't know for sure where we're going yet, but some of the places on our hotlist are: Cambodia, Thailand, Nepal, Singapore, Peru, Chile, Fiji and Tahiti. (!)
  • Similarly, we were discussing what we intend to do when we come back again. A lot of our friends are getting towards the mortgage'n'marriage stage, and after much, much talking we've come to the conclusion that we don't want to settle down in the same small town where we've spent our whole lives thus far, and resign ourselves to a nine-to-five work week. So we've also been looking into off-grid and other alternative lifestyles, and instead of looking for an apartment when we get back home, we've decided to fulfill one of my childhood dreams and buy a camper van. 
  • On a smaller scale, my dad found a copy of Banksy's Wall and Piece, and when I got into the car to go out for lunch a while ago, greeted me with the words, "We're going on a crazy mayhem art spree." Which consisted of making some spoof signs and whacking them up in public places around our local area. My dad's great.
(c) Norman Townsend
  • Straight A's (so far) on my English Language course. Sadly I have a Maths test coming up soon, so I imagine that will tidily lower my average. Therefore, I celebrate this achievement whilst I have it.
  • Finding an old scrapbook from when I was about eleven years old. All that time I spent post-Goth, feeling like I had no sense of identity and not knowing what I liked and who I was... I really wish I could have come across this scrapbook then. It's filled with badass women, female musicians and skateboarders and snowboarders, open wastelands, back roads, ghost towns, certain slants of light, cool hair, painted caravans... I have gotten rid of a lot of my paper baggage, but I've kept this, and in fact I aim to grab some magazines with pretty ads and start filling in the spaces.

  • Getting rid of some of my old journals. Maybe this sounds counter-productive to you? The thought of binning any of my scribble-filled jotters was anathema to me for a very long time. But I found some in the spare room which were, well, pages and pages of me, in my early teens, being very miserable and unhappy. And I decided I didn't need to carry the reminder of that sad girl around with me for the rest of my life. Throwing out the things I didn't need any more or want to remember made me feel so much lighter in every way. And it was goodbye to a lot of bad poetry, too. 
  • Building a blanket fort in my room and hiding inside to watch UFO documentaries. A good reward for a day of studying.

Listening to: Liar by Emilie Autumn

10 comments:

  1. Congrats on the straight A's in English Language! :)

    Your trip-in-planning with Dan sounds incredible! Kinda scary (well...to me haha) but I'm sure you'll have a great time. This next year or so I'm sure will fly by for you! I have much admiration for you.

    Also, I now really desire a blanket fort...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      Haha, I guess it is a little scary! I would be more nervous if it was something I was doing by myself but Dan is my anchor, he keeps me chilled about things. At the moment I'm just excited, I think I will get more anxious as it gets closer. Thanks :)

      You should definitely go build one! <3

      Delete
  2. Hot damn these are cool projects you have there. : D That's a great way to be happy in life: to make goals and have something to look foward to.

    Almost seems like you went "KonMari" on your journals! (when you're decluttering when holding one item at a time, wondering for each of them "does this spark joy?")

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :D

      Haha I totally did! Still have a few more to go through but honestly I was surprised how much better I felt afterwards. I expected guilt or something but I just feel lighter. Gonna have to invest in The Magic of Tidying Up to steer me onwards I think. No space for clutter in a camper van! ;)

      Delete
  3. Woooow a year long backpacking tour seems really awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't even describe how excited I am! We've kind of started plotting a vague course now, so I'm spending large chunks of time Googling beautiful countries, which I am immensely enjoying. <3

      Delete
  4. The big trip sounds exciting! Ah I really gotta do that! Just need money, ha ha!

    I love the idea of an alternative lifestyle, good for you!

    Your dad sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saaame :/ saving up is hard, I am living on ramen. >.<

      Thanks!

      And he is, he's definitely a character. He's good fun. ^^

      Delete
  5. Everyone should have some kind of blanket fort! And as for your 2018 plans, thats some brave thing to do! Hoping you will do & share some kind of journal then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I will try to update from the wilderness :D

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...