Wednesday, 23 December 2015

Wishing You A 'Faerie' Merry Christmas

Sorry about the bad pun. I couldn't help myself.

Anyway! This is my first Christmas in the blogosphere since 2012, and I'm pleased to say I'm a little more prepared this year than I have been previously. The shopping. It is done. Well, mostly. I have a few bits and bobs outstanding, but the majority of the gifts are purchased, hints dropped and cards written. I think. I hope. *ahem*

It's going to be a weird Christmas this year. My partner and I have both had family members pass away; and he has moved house this month so we are now living the furthest apart that we ever have, and not particularly by our own choice. Circumstances: they are against us. Le sigh. *staples hand to forehead* I live in a little village just outside suburbia where the phone reception is spotty at best, but we seem to be adapting pretty well so far. It just feels a bit strange - we have lived five minutes apart for the last eleven years - and combined with a busy period at work for both of us (ah, retail) has made the festive season somewhat more fraught than usual.

Also, it is still very mild here in the south of England for the time of year (British 'mild' being relative of course, and obviously it is raining), which adds to the un-Christmassy feelings lingering around the place. I have tried to bring on some festive cheer by busting out the foul-mouthed Christmas jumpers, mince pies and Gluhwein but frankly, I'm just not feeling it yet.
Gruffalo advent calendar ^^
On the plus side, one of my best friends and her lovely fiance are expecting their first baby in January, so that's exciting. I'm getting enthusiastic about my upcoming role as Weirdest Auntie, and may be found lurking in the children's section of the bookstore looking for exciting stories about friendly monsters and witches. For the baby's benefit, obvs.

I have no idea what delights might be awaiting under the (tiny, silver) Christmas tree this year. Well, probably some books - they are my favourite, and my best. ALL the books, please. But beyond that I am clueless. My partner Dan has dropped some slightly odd hints ('smells of leather'?!), which doesn't help.

So, what about you lovelies? Are you feeling the Yuletide spirit yet? What are you hoping to find in your stocking this year? Sending you all good wishes for the season - and a happy new year of course!

4 comments:

  1. Every child needs a weird auntie, no matter if family or friendship related! you definitely will be able to teach that tiny creature a lot! no whatever-december-thing spirit here as well, presents were exchanged at halloween and i will be working anyways :-)
    still, i hope this end of 2015 & early 2016 will be better for you than you might think it will be <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Presents at Halloween! That's a brilliant idea! <3
      Thank you very much and I wish you all the very best for the new year :)

      Delete
  2. Gruffalo Advent calendar!? Oh my goodness, I need to find one for next year now.
    And I agree with Ramona, every child needs a Weird Auntie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck on your gruffalo hunting! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...