Friday, 20 November 2015

Inked

Last week I got a new tattoo. :)
Blood, ink and clingfilm - not my usual accessories.
I had wanted a Neil Gaiman-related piece for a very long time so I was happy to have finally settled on a quote.

The lady who did my other tattoos (a bat on my left shoulder and a Lost Souls quote on my wrists) has moved out of the area, to the best of my knowledge, so I was excited to have found a local artist whose style I like. Not that this was a particularly challenging design, as you can see - I'm just a massive fusspot, and also incredibly anxious and awkward, so I like finding people I can get on with. This new piece was done by a lovely chap called Alex at Inkwell Studios, who is the youngest guy I have ever met to own his own tattoo studio, and an incredibly talented artist.

It's a quote from Neil Gaiman's poem Instructions. Or, more accurately, it's a compilation of my favourite lines from the poem. It's a combination of fairytale themes and good advice, and I couldn't be happier with it.


"Trust the wolves, but do not tell them where you are going. Remember: that giants sleep too soundly; that witches are betrayed by their appetites; that dragons have one soft spot, somewhere, always. Trust ghosts. Trust dreams. Trust your heart and trust your story."

10 comments:

  1. Came out looking nice! It must be so excited to get some ink done.
    Oooh imagine finding so many tattoo-worthy quotes that in the end you look like a big living book! Heheh : D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :)
      (I have kind of wondered if in thirty years time I will just be covered in quotes o.O my next couple of ideas are images rather than words though so I guess I'll be a sketchpad/scrapbook... I'm OK with that.) ;)

      Delete
  2. That is a very nice font! I really want to get a Neil Gaiman quote too! I haven't found the right one yet! I love "sometimes when you fall you fly" but everyone seems to have it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I'm so pleased with it. I have some other Gaiman-related ideas as well... I'd like some of the imagery from Neverwhere and possibly a portrait of Delirium from Sandman... but I'm getting ahead of myself >.< Good luck finding the right quote for you! I love 'sometimes when you fall' as well but I do see what you mean, it's a popular one.

      Delete
  3. It's really beautiful, aestethically and conceptually!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice Amy - beautiful words! Love it! I would get a tattoo but I'm a mahoosive wimp and would probably be chucked out of the house so may have to wait until I've moved out... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I can't really take any credit for the words ;) haha fair enough, I won't say it's the most pleasant experience you'll ever have but it's not as bad as you'd think. Take it from a fellow wimp!

      Delete
  5. looks beautiful! i dont think i could settle on a quote enough to get it tattoed - and i guess writing is quite difficult for the artist as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I did spend literally years making up my mind >.<

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...