Monday, 19 October 2015

Catch Yours Truly (well, my feet anyway) in the Carpe Nocturne Fall Issue

Hi guys! Exciting news to share with you - well, exciting for me anyway. This month I have two articles out in alternative magazine Carpe Nocturne, which covers all things other than the norm including Goth, sci-fi, fantasy and steampunk. It's fantastic to see my name in print!

Strega Fashion
A double-page spread (!) about the growing subculture strega, a visual interpretation of witchcraft-related and folkloric themes, with its roots in Goth, mori kei and boho.

"Mai's mother describes herself as a witch, and thus, Mai says, 'It's always been a positive thing for me. A witch is a strong, feminine woman and a force to be reckoned with.'"

I would like to offer my heartfelt thanks to the beautiful, kind people who allowed me to pick their brains for this article - Mai AgerlinRaePsychara and Pandora. I am indebted to you all for taking part and especial thanks to Mai and Rae who also provided photographs to accompany the article. I am very grateful to all of you for your time!

13 Life Lessons Goth Taught Me
(I really never expected to see a picture of my feet in a magazine with an international readership.) Being an 'ex-Goth' is actually a pretty large part of my identity. My time in the subculture had a big impact on how I see myself and the world around me.

"Screw the 'male gaze'. If I want to wear thirty layers of impenetrable velvet and an improbable hat, I will. Similarly 'you looked so much better before you had that mohawk/piercing/tattoo/hair colour never seen in nature' is a ridiculous statement implying that what you see in the mirror should be tailored to suit other people. Nuts to that."

Carpe Nocturne is over 100 pages of strange and unusual goodness, available in both print and digital form (I am awaiting my print copy with much glee!). I am delighted to have taken part in the latest issue and would like to thank CN very much for having me.

17 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Amy! Glad you are receiving some accolades for your writing talent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, although I am not surprised as you are very good at writing articles! Also Strega is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like Strega and Dark Mori Kei are pretty closely related styles, since they both kind of center around a witchy forest girl theme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree! I did mention that in the article but somehow neglected to do so in this blog post >.< total brain fart. 'Scuse me whilst I edit.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations, Amy! That is very exciting! I love the Dark Mori look. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're on the map it seems! Must be exciting. And I'm glad Strega is growing, it is a beautiful style that speaks to me on a personal level. :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exciting and yet also terrifying because I am a hermit and deadlines are alarming.

      Yesss strega is fantastic isn't it! I was so happy to be able to write about it in a public forum and also very lucky because all the people I worked with on the article were fantastically kind, enthusiastic and helpful - it showed a really positive side of the strega 'community'.

      Delete
  6. Fantastic! I've been trying to pitch an article on strega (I've been following the people around it since your post on dark mori on Stripey Tights! So glad to see another style sorta coming out of that scene, and thank you for introducing me to it) to a few mainstreamy places, but they keep saying it's too niche. When it explodes, they'll be sorry they said no! :P Really need to get the mag, would love to read the shorter article too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much :D and you're so welcome. I've been so enjoying ogling everybody's strega blogs on Tumblr.
      Oooh, please do let me know if somebody takes the article on, I'd love to have a read! ^^ Next year when things are more settled for me (it's one upheaval after another at the mo) I'm hoping to start bulking up my writing portfolio as well, but I'm leaning more towards niche/alt magazines anyway simply because I think/hope that that's where I'll find the sort of audience who would want to read what I would want to write... I think that made sense?! I think I'd be too chicken to approach the mainstream *sitcom-teenager voice* they just DON'T underSTAND me, so very very best of luck to you!

      Delete
    2. Thanks! If you wanna get equipped with knowledge on writing for magazines in specific and making good buck (I kinda decided against that, because quality print media in Serbia is nonexistent, but it would be nice to get a few articles in), Linda Formichelli's The Renegade Writer blog is an amazing resource, and all her e-books are pay-what-you-want!

      Delete
  7. Gahh, I missed it!! I'm sorry! Do you know if there's any way to order a back issue? I can't seem to figure it out from the website...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...