Tuesday, 8 September 2015

Style Concept: Casual Faerie

I have several style concepts knocking around in the back of my brain. This is one of them, stemming from a time when I thought that if I could only find my style statement, all would be well in my corner of the universe. However as a day-to-day look, it didn't really work out for me, although I'm still prone to dressing this way for parties and evenings out, when I want to look a bit fancy and prettified but not in a terribly normal sort of way (I used to have an almost-completely-separate wardrobe of sexy-but-very-un-me dresses for going out, but have been working on finding things that are still night-out-appropriate but more quirky and unusual).

The idea that sparked 'casual faerie' as a style concept was me trying to combine several of my favourite styles - faerie, boho and a raggedy art-student kind of look vaguely inspired by the character Karou from Laini Taylor's Daughter of Smoke and Bone, all slouch beanies and messy hair - but in a casual, non-overpowering, non-costumey way, as though (to get kinda cheesy about it) a faerie girl had decided to take a bunch of art classes and needed to blend in a little bit.

Casual faerie is: combat boots with tea dresses, lots of lace, blue and silver, smudged eye make-up and glitter, messy hair (probably blue or green or faded pink), a faraway expression, short nails, torn stockings, mismatched socks, worn boots, chunky scarves, sketchbooks and bitten pencils, ink stained fingers, silver earrings, slip dresses, thrift shop cardigans, muted or dark florals, jewel-coloured velvet, moon jewellery, flushed cheeks and bright eyes, body glitter in strange colours, wilting daisies tucked into braided hair, oversized leather jackets, dungarees, ugly sweaters, strange charms and magpie feathers tucked into your handbag, the smell of books, mismatched textures and layers, silver beads in your hair that glitter like stars.

The casual faerie girl shops in flea markets and thrift stores. She smells of tea leaves, lavender and peppermint. She carries her art supplies in a battered old brown suitcase she picked up for £1.50 in Age Concern. She wears vintage lace bridal gloves with the fingers cut off. She likes to sit outside and drink tea in the moonlight. The bottom of her handbag is coated in glitter and birdseed. A quiet girl, she talks and laughs with friends in the coffee shop but never seems quite there, as though she has one foot in this world and one in Tir Na Nog.
Casual Faerie



Casual Faerie Pinterest board.
Style Concept first draft.

10 comments:

  1. Have you seen the dresses on Holyclothing.com? You might like them. also have you read Holly Black's Modern Faerytales series? I think you would like that too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I didn't reply to this before Laura, I thought I had (was obviously having a funny five minutes!). I haven't seen holyclothing but I am on my way over there now! And yesssss to Modern Faerytales, I absolutely adore them. <3

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Ah you're not the first person to recommend this to me lately, I'd better bump it up my must-watch list! Thank you! :D

      Delete
  3. Oh I like the sound of this! Very pretty concept ^.^ At the moment my favourite concept is dark fantasy so may try something like this one day... that's if I don't get too overwhelmed by all the very beautiful clothes and accessories out there... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds amazing! Some bits certainly fit in with the ideas I have for my own style. I really need to get on writing that out...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) If you do write it, I look forward to reading it :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...