Tuesday, 28 July 2015

Skinny Dipping

Defeating the bucket list, one step at a time.

Having my bucket list written down (or at least some of it; I'm working on part two) has proven to be excellent motivation to start ticking off some of the items on it. Last week I finally achieved my long-held goal to go skinny-dipping. Perhaps if I lived in a warmer country and not in a landlocked county this might have happened sooner, but as it is I had to talk very nicely to a good friend of mine to allow me to cavort naked in her swimming pool after dark.
As it happened, it was perhaps not quite the super-liberating, daring experience I was expecting.

Partly because I am an EXTREMELY cold person (Viking genes apparently not kicking in to make me a hardy little sprout, oh no. Anything under 22c and I have a jumper on. Or two.) and my teeth were chattering the entire time. My warmer friend was, I think, briefly concerned for my safety when I first jumped in and immediately lost the ability to breathe or speak.

Secondly because the nudity element didn't quite make me feel like some sort of naughty uber-feminine mermaid nymph - no, there was the slight, niggling awkwardness of chatting to my friend (and her mother, who is utterly unfazed by any and all nudity and came to chat to us, lighting candles along the edge of the pool, which admittedly was a nice touch, what with the pretty moonlight and all) with my whatnots hanging all out.

Thirdly because my friend also owns a slightly terrifying giant rubber duck, which made the whole experience kinda surreal. I will, now and forever, have the equal-parts-cringey-and-hilarious memory of  riding naked in the moonlight upon a giant rubber duck.

My favourite part of the experience was quite possibly the bit where we went inside and made whisky ice cream. But. I'm glad I did it, and may well do it again at some point in my life, though probably in warmer climes. I thank my friend most whole-heartedly for use of her pool, and apologise unreservedly for any trauma that the duck may have suffered.

6 comments:

  1. I used to skinny dip when i was a kid, does that count? Haha. I feel the cold too and usually only swim in the middle of summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, it's a goth here to ask you a question. Would you be willing to let someone continue the Ultimate Goth Guide?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I wouldn't let anyone have access to my old site/account, but if someone wanted to start their own version of UGG I wouldn't mind.

      Delete
  3. note to self: i need a friend with a pool. that rubber duck point made it extra awesome to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It nearly drowned me at one point I swear. I tried to surface but it was bobbing over my head and I couldn't figure out how to get out from underneath it. I think it may have been possessed. >.>

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...